Thursday, February 05, 2009

Claire is 4 months?!


It is SO HARD to believe that our baby is 4 months! She did so good today when she got her shots and her check up. She is progressing wonderfully and is just as sweet as ever. She was in the 50-60% in both weight and height today. YAH for plump breast-fed babies!! She is a little behind on her head control, but that's okay because she was 4 weeks early! The MD said that I needed to stop my 3am feeding because Claire is capable of sleeping through the night now that she is over 12 lbs. She also said that we have a short window of opportunity to break this habit before Claire becomes programmed to expect the feed. This is sad to me because 3am is the sweetest time! She nurses so softly and seems so content. I am not sure when I will enforce this plan, but it won't be tonight- my baby just got her shots! The MD also recommended that we begin allowing Claire to put herself to sleep or "self soothe". This news comes at a very BAD time because just this week Claire has become a nap-fighting ninja. That kid can keep herself awake during nap time even in her miracle blanket. (For those of you who are unfamiliar with the miracle blanket, it is a legal straight-jacket for babies- a MUST have!) It's not really a straight jacket...its just a great swaddle blanket and Claire still likes to be swaddled. The doctor also mentioned starting rice cereal when I felt comfortable with Claire's ability to take it. Maybe I am crazy, but all of these things just seem like too much too soon. I want my baby to nurse when she wants (even if it is 3am), and I want to rock her to sleep if she wants me to (even if it means I'll be doing it until she is 12), and I want her to nurse exclusively for a little longer... I know she has to grow up but I never knew how fast time could fly until really wanted it to freeze for a while. I am just going to have to keep enjoying each day with my baby! I am so thankful to God for our blessing!

1 comment:

erika said...

Hey Rebekah! Emily didn't stop nursing at night until she was almost 6 months old..it was that 4am feeding that she just couldn't kick! Here are my thoughts, you do what you feel is right for YOUR baby and for YOU. There is no textbook on YOU. Nothing you decide it wrong. You are the mama. 'Nough said!!!! I hate it when dr's insist on things like this!!! Anyway, off of my soap box. Claire is beautiful and you look great too (and so does Josh). Clearly being a mommy agrees with you! Enjoy these moments...Emily will be one next week and I want to turn back the clock again to the time when she was tiny. Take care!!!
Erika